Two Months Before
- Create a moving binder. This will be invaluable as you get organized for your move. The more organized your move, the less stressful it will be. Promise.
- Start packing your first box. Keep your vital documents and small valuables here, separate from other household items. This will help you keep the most important things safe throughout the process, and it will help you identify any missing documents early.
- Back up your files. Before packing up your computer (in the coming weeks), back up your files and photos. Keep the backups in the box mentioned above. Your files will probably be fine, but it’s not a risk worth taking.
- Research and gather quotes from moving companies. If you’re planning to rent a moving truck, begin looking into rates.
- Create a room-by-room inventory of items throughout the house. It’s not as tough as you think, and has benefits beyond moving day.
- Sell or donate what you don’t need. Hold a garage sale, or sell your stuff online.